Latest in the Section
- Proposals and ideas for showing off your bathroom
- The Bolivian Evo Morales may be a candidate for reelection
- 10.6 seconds for posterity
- First Latin American Congress of living cultures
- More than 3,000 participate in ongoing massive data journalism
- Lebanon: strike the blogger for taking photos
- Angola: Government threatens to close media
- Petition the UN to investigate the elections in South Korea
- Nicaraguan law advocate violence against women
- Died Jorge Rafael Videla, the ideologue of the military dictatorship in Argentina
Popular in the Section
- Rockers Accessories for Summer 2011
- Autumn Winter Fashion 2010-2011: urban clothing and sensual TCN
- Overview of Technology for Transparency, Part VI
- Nutrinews INNEOV forum for bloggers | Register
- Ivory Coast: three journalists arrested for posting documents on the coffee and cocoa
- Copy the look of the famous
- Laos: Mekong Tourism Forum
- The five most beautiful football
|Society & You - Social Critic|
|Sunday, 05 August 2012 13:01|
Thanks to the Olympic speed of social networks, now the whole world in a blink of the comments and views of some of the highest paid citizens of Puerto Rico: its politicians. In this case we refer to Heidi Wys Toro, adviser to Jennifer Gonzalez, the current Speaker of the House of Representatives, who published a few days ago racist comments directed at President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle.
Here the translation:
Barak Obama: "One meets birthday soon ..."
Heidi Anne Wys: "Who cares? Take her to Burger King, buy a dual banana sundae. Take her to your home country, Kenya! "
Not the first time Wys, developer of speech statesman on the island, use this forum to insult Obama. On June 18 published the following commentary, rather than encourage conservation, at least, interesting, constructive obstructs any possibility:
Barack Obama: "The opportunity to dine with the President's worth"
Heidi Anne Wys: "Wah! wah! I feel like vomiting! Dining with a guy who says he was born in Hawaii, was born in Kenya "
Also on the website of the House of Representatives of Puerto Rico , was issued a vague message from Jennifer Gonzalez to evade responsibility and prudence urge legislative employees:
Given the apparent neutrality of political leaders in Puerto Rico, Rep. Luis Gutierrez was quick to send a letter , from Chicago, the White House to express their outrage. At the same also let them know that he has called "Mrs. Wys be removed from any position, formal and informal, with the government of Puerto Rico. "
Melissa Mark Viverito , Council Member District # 8 of the New York City, also called on other political officials to express their views, and demanded public apology to Wys, who claims not to be racist because he said on Twitter that want to his nieces, the "prietas".
Unlike the immediate reactions from readers, activists, politicians, in short, people disappointed at the lack of social awareness and commitment of public officials and Wys Gonzalez, Governor Luis Fortuño claims not to have been aware of the situation. And did not issue a comment.
But Ed Morales, Puerto Rican writer based in New York, makes clear in his post latest "These episodes are very characteristic of repressive stage powered by the administration of Governor Luis Fortuño" (translated by author), who just signed a new penal code , which impose more severe penalties (supposedly to combat violence) and criminalizes protests and civil disobedience, among other rights to free expression.
Wys apologized via Twitter and blocked his account to avoid future problems, but their strategies against Obama, as you said it in one of his tweets, have proven to be counterproductive.