Latest in the Section
- Like Father, Like Son: find a stranger in the family privacy
- Denmark wins Eurovision 2013 and Spain is penultimate
- Denmark is proclaimed winner of Eurovision 2013
- Oil companies earn 31% for each liter of fuel, is it fair?
- Mitsubishi MiEV Evolution II, electrificando otra vez Pikes Peak
- Nissan JukeRide, will you participate in the development of a car?
- Mercedes S-Class History, over 100 years of luxury on wheels
- TRD blank spot puts a 2014 Lexus IS
- Hyundai wants to fill an empty hole in their range with a compact SUV
- Motorfull Green: Porsche 918 Spyder, five driving modes for all gobernarlos
Popular in the Section
- Taylor Swift en top-less
- Pictures of Miranda Kerr en la revista Ocean Drive
- Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato strolling hand in hand and
- Adam Sandler becomes a priest for the second time
- Betting Forum
- Nereida Gallardo topless in Sardinia
- The famous and the mystery of the tattoos of stars
- Justin Bieber Biografía
- Ricky Martin came out with Valerio Pino
- Miley Cyrus, en bikini en la playa
|Entertainment - Motorsport|
|Friday, 27 July 2012 22:26|
For the people we love this car, organize and conduct a tour is always special. A route through the Swiss Alps, the obligatory pilgrimage to the Nürburgring, across the United States from coast to coast, and so on. In 1989, the German Gunther Holtorf and his wife Christine embarked on a 18-month journey around Africa. Does your mode of transportation? A robust Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen . As the adventure must fascinate them, I imagine, 23 years and 800,000 miles after crossing the roads are still half the world. From Australia to South America, Africa to Everest base camp.
David Lemke, a photographer for the BBC, crossed his path almost by accident. By then, the German already had 74 years, an age that has not prevented him from continuing this. In fact, the hardest hit was no mechanical problem with the G-Wagen vestusto, but the death of his wife. Still, she asked him to continue the journey alone, as a tribute or homage. And so it proved.
The car, a Mercedes-Benz 300GD Otto who is affectionately known, has never suffered a serious breakdown, which speaks volumes about the reliability of the old G-Wagen (bet you do the same with ML had not given the same result) . In fact, so well known Holtorf your car within minutes is able to locate and repair the fault. One thing that stands out is that the car does not have any adhesive or sponsor, as is usual in this type of adventure . The reason is that the German did not like the idea of a car "that it looked like a Formula 1", full of stickers. And for safety reasons, of course. In accordance with that country, how much more low passes, the better.
So how could afford a trip of 23 years - and what remains? Holtorf says that the main expenses in traveling is hotel accommodation and restaurant meals. He prefers to sleep in the car and cook food that you buy on the way, saving spend a good amount of money. Here, in this adventure the highest cost is for the fuel and transport of Otto from one continent to another or from one island to another. This and some more.
German says that the more you travel, the more you realize how little I've seen. Although having been in countries like North Korea, Cuba, Iraq (during the war!), In places as remote as the Everest base camp or traveling the mythical Pan American Highway, I do not know who should be seen. The strange thing is that in a world so connected as the world we live in, this trip has gone so unnoticed. Or blogs, or reportages or no coverage has followed the footsteps of Holtorf over the years. Just two old camera reel Leikas accompanied him from day one. And almost better that way ...