Latest in the Section
- HTC Android 4.2.2 One will arrive in two weeks
- Spain, how to market experimental mobility?
- Chops (and XXXVIII) - Change the resolution of a video with ffmpeg
- Individuality of identical twins
- goal: augmented reality interface world's most advanced
- Apple retira Bang with Friends para iPhone de la App Store
- Telcel What is the plan that suits you?
- Apple strikes back and removes Bang With Friends from the App Store
- Apple retira Bang With Friends de la App Store
- IFTTT Recipes to take advantage of LinkedIn
Popular in the Section
- Uncharted 2 was one of the best games of 2009
- Synergy-Plus program, which allows us to control with a single keyboard and mouse several machines
- VBulletin case: "This decision is a true cross-Shirt to Spanish sovereignty"
- Inadvisable online mode of FIFA 2010 with Gamblers Anonymous
- Blood Moon, the adventures of the undead
- Olloclip brings the iPhone's camera to the next level
- Sasha Grey, Hulk Hogan y Daniel Dae Kim protagonizarán Saints Row: The Third
- Heavy Rain, Quantic Dream ultimate
- Party at home with friends and a dealer hand of Four Roses
- Dragon Age: Origins and the mod called "Natural Bodies"
|Technology - General|
|Friday, 03 August 2012 11:22|
The campaign Valve for the use of Linux vs. Windows continues. Following statements by ticking the founder Gabe Neweel Windows 8 of "catastrophe" , have now been some initial tests to see which operating system ran faster the game Left 4 Dead 2. And Linux wins . The result, after optimizing the game engine for Linux, is a game that runs on Windows versus 270.6 FPS to 315 FPS in Linux.
We do not know if this is a good way to promote the arrival of the game itself to Linux or just a way to demonstrate its full support to the platform. The fact is that Valve shows through the open blog exclusively for Linux developments around the game engine engine runs faster on Linux than on Windows.
For this, the company used a test with an Intel i7 3939K, Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 and 32 GB of RAM running Windows 7 SP1 Direct X versus Ubuntu 12.04 of 32-bit OpenGL ... with surprising results.
At first the result was 6 on Ubuntu compared to 270.6 FPS FPS. Seeing the result Valve engineers optimized the game for Linux based on three points. First modified the game to work better with the Linux kernel, just to work better with OpenGL and finally a graphic driver optimization.
And here came the final tests, chords and more equal between the two, with final results of 315 FPS for Linux.
As they indicate from the blog, some surprising results when you consider that optimizing for Linux Valve has started a few months compared to the time they have worked with Windows. Good news for users of OS platform is expected to list later this year.